Download doesn't preserve modification times

Sun May 03, 2015 6:43 pm in General

page 1 / 1
Frank Farance
OP

Download doesn't preserve modification times

When I download as a ZIP, it doesn't preserve the modification times, they are all the present time.  Certainly, I can see the modifiction times when the browser is viewing the filesystems.  So why not for the files transferred?  This is fundamental and basic to file copy-backup, some files like videos (and some jpegs) have no EXIF.

I find this very frustrating that the people writing system tools have no common sense on basic requirements for "copy" functionality.  Sounds like the developers never had any experience as system administrators for any business/office environment, which would cause them to realize that metadata is important, too.

So how do I make this work?  Or do I need to use another tool for accessing my phone?

Frank Farance

Frank Farance
Coffee Admin

Re: Download doesn't preserve modification times

When I download as a ZIP, it doesn't preserve the modification times, they are all the present time. Certainly, I can see the modifiction times when the browser is viewing the filesystems. So why not for the files transferred? This is fundamental and basic to file copy-backup, some files like videos (and some jpegs) have no EXIF.

I find this very frustrating that the people writing system tools have no common sense on basic requirements for "copy" functionality. Sounds like the developers never had any experience as system administrators for any business/office environment, which would cause them to realize that metadata is important, too.

So how do I make this work? Or do I need to use another tool for accessing my phone?

Frank Farance

Sorry that you can't preserve the creation time of the files when you download it from phone to computer or from computer to phone. AirDroid mainly provides a file transfer feature, backup the info is not supported. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. We'll consider your feature request :)
Coffee
Admin
Rado Sław

Coffee wrote:
When I download as a ZIP, it doesn't preserve the modification times, they are all the present time. Certainly, I can see the modifiction times when the browser is viewing the filesystems. So why not for the files transferred? This is fundamental and basic to file copy-backup, some files like videos (and some jpegs) have no EXIF.

I find this very frustrating that the people writing system tools have no common sense on basic requirements for "copy" functionality. Sounds like the developers never had any experience as system administrators for any business/office environment, which would cause them to realize that metadata is important, too.

So how do I make this work? Or do I need to use another tool for accessing my phone?

Frank Farance

Sorry that you can't preserve the creation time of the files when you download it from phone to computer or from computer to phone. AirDroid mainly provides a file transfer feature, backup is not supported. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. We'll consider your feature request :)

I find it also unfortunate that you disregard file last modification time (you called it creation time, which is not) during creation of zip file (download multiple files). It's ultra easy and in fact code for keeping or ignoring modtime is almost the same (depending on what way of streaming file you use).

So pity that you ignore it. And not, this is not some 'backup feature', but simple one more line of code to *properly* store file modtime in ziparchive.

It does also not work for copying one file.

BTW: that make me not buying airdroid premium, and migrating towards using "Droid NAS" app. Free btw.
Rado Sław
Coffee Admin

I find it also unfortunate that you disregard file last modification time (you called it creation time, which is not) during creation of zip file (download multiple files). It's ultra easy and in fact code for keeping or ignoring modtime is almost the same (depending on what way of streaming file you use).

So pity that you ignore it. And not, this is not some 'backup feature', but simple one more line of code to *properly* store file modtime in ziparchive.

It does also not work for copying one file.

BTW: that make me not buying airdroid premium, and migrating towards using "Droid NAS" app. Free btw.

Hi,

Thanks for the info and suggestion :) We'll take a look at this.
Coffee
Admin
(Sign in or sign up to post a reply.)
page 1 / 1

Statistics

24655 posts

7416 threads

Members: 235018

Latest Member: amir

Online: 57