unable to read files from zip but ok when sending one by onequestion

Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:12 pm in General

page 1 / 1
humpff
OP

unable to read files from zip but ok when sending one by one

Hi evrybodi i have a slight problem using airdroid for picture transfer between smartphone and pc. (running linux mint 17.2 using firefox 41.0.1) . laptop is acer aspire 5750G.

After transfering several pictures at once in a zip format, from smartphone to laptop, zipped pictures are not readable after unzipping.

source : my s4 mini (samsung), (4.4.2) also from a motoG (5.1).
destination : my computer (running mint 17.2 ie kubuntu 14.04 and also test are made with a w7 virtualbox machine)

on the linux pc :
the file (zip format) is downloaded without problems but unzipping gives an error "failed to download metadata" (approximate translation from french)

on the w7 virtualbox machine :
the test of transfering and unzipping and seeing works fine... !

while transfering one file after each other works fine either to a linux box or a w7 box.

i suppose there is a problem either with permissions granted by airdroid, or with airdroid itself... unzipping is quasi transparent on my system and works perfectly with any zipped file... except from airdroid. Looking forward to know if the zip format used by airdroid is'nt a bit "special" ???

trying to unzip in a console being root does the same... files (pictures) not readable...

thanks for your suggestions...
humpff
Coffee Admin

Re: unable to read files from zip but ok when sending one by one

Hi evrybodi i have a slight problem using airdroid for picture transfer between smartphone and pc. (running linux mint 17.2 using firefox 41.0.1) . laptop is acer aspire 5750G.

After transfering several pictures at once in a zip format, from smartphone to laptop, zipped pictures are not readable after unzipping.

destination : my computer (running mint 17.2 ie kubuntu 14.04 and also test are made with a w7 virtualbox machine)

on the linux pc :
the file (zip format) is downloaded without problems but unzipping gives an error "failed to download metadata" (approximate translation from french)

while transfering one file after each other works fine either to a linux box or a w7 box.

i suppose there is a problem either with permissions granted by airdroid, or with airdroid itself... unzipping is quasi transparent on my system and works perfectly with any zipped file... except from airdroid. Looking forward to know if the zip format used by airdroid is'nt a bit "special" ???

trying to unzip in a console being root does the same... files (pictures) not readable...

Hi, can you pls go to AirDroid app settings > Encoding for zip file, and change it from GBK to UTF-8, or UTF-8 to GBK to see if it helps?

And what's the unzip tool you are using?
Coffee
Admin
humpff

Hi

thanks for your concern. When extracting files in W7 using the integrated W7 tool (file browser) i get the files extracted plus for each picture a file named for instance "IMG_20151014_183807.jpg:Zone.Identifier" . Well, what's that ?

on linux the extracting tool is the universal tool named "ark" wich is integrated in the file browser (here, Dolphin). This is the first time i encounter this type of difficulties doing an extraction from a simple "zip" file.

i don't use your App on my pc (and do you have a linux apps ???) so i don't know how to modify the encoding....and as far as i know you give access through a web browser to my smartphone, using the airdroid local adress "192.168.0.xx", so...where is the so called "app setting" in the airdroid web page ??? and as far as i know this normally do not have to be done, while utf8 is the most universal encoding... but i don't see no reasons...

Forgive me to insist, but this seems to be an very ennoying issue, furthermore how can i trust Airdroid if such a simple operation like zipping/unzipping is causing trouble ?

Please take note that single pictures are transfered straightforward and perfectly readable... on any other OS... included gnu-linux branded

thanks for your work anyways, even if i'll have to quit using it, this was a smart idea...

humpf
Coffee wrote:

on the linux pc :

Hi, can you pls go to AirDroid app settings > Encoding for zip file, and change it from GBK to UTF-8, or UTF-8 to GBK to see if it helps?

And what's the unzip tool you are using?

humpff
Coffee Admin

@humpff

Hi,

The app settings I mentioned is the Settings of AirDroid Android app that installed on your phone. Please try change the Encoding for zip file there.

Is the file size of zip file you downloaded correct? And you can try some other unzip tool to see if it helps. We've seen some users reporting similar issues and the issues solved by using another unzip tool.
Coffee
Admin
(Sign in or sign up to post a reply.)
page 1 / 1

Statistics

24655 posts

7416 threads

Members: 235028

Latest Member: Jasika

Online: 42