2 GB File Limit?

Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:47 pm in AirDroid Web

page 1 / 1
halfsquatch
OP

2 GB File Limit?

Whenever I try to import anything to my phone that is >=2GB the import immediately errors out. Is this a limitation in the underlying file system or is this an issue with Airdroid?
halfsquatch
MMB

Title

I know FAT32 is limited to 2GB file sizes, so if you attempt to copy to a FAT32 partition that would be it.
MMB
Masen86

Title

I should have been clearer. Apologies. I have a Galaxy Nexus and wasn't sure what Google chose for the file system format given you cannot remove the SD card and it cannot be mounted via USB anymore in ICS. But in all likelihood, they stuck with FAT32, which explains everything. I should have perused the Google development docs before posting. Either way, this sounds like the correct answer to me. Thanks!
Masen86
Shaunel

Title

No I don't think it is because of FAT32.
The Galaxy Nexus does handle files > 2GB if transferred by other means. I believe this to be something with airdroid causing the issue. Wish this app was open source because I would love to work on it.

Any ideas AirDroid team?

Thanks,
@gsarrica
Shaunel
Glenn_

Title

Fat 32 got a size limit about 4 gig!
Glenn_
Maciek

Title

Yes FAT 32 is limited to 4 Gb
Maciek
RonanRaven

Title

^this
RonanRaven
AdsBot [Google]

Title

AirDroid doesn't limit the size of files you transfer. We will keep making improvement. However, for big files, we recommend that you use USB cable for more stable and fast transfer between device and computer.
AdsBot [Google]
GabrielTja

Title

Airdroid 3 now has a maximum file size transfer limit of 1GB (for premium users) and 30MB for non-premium, and 200MB for bonus users. Airdroid 2 didn't have this limitation as I'd formatted the memory card in my Samsung Galaxy Tab 8 to exFAT. 1GB seems like a really arbitrary limit, especially when I'm trying to transfer movies I've encoded for an Apple TV (and don't want to have to transcode) that routinely exceed that file size limit. I'm not going to pay for the Premium service unless this cap is removed as 'Premium' isn't getting me any further. Any thoughts AirDroid staff?
GabrielTja
(Sign in or sign up to post a reply.)
page 1 / 1

Statistics

24655 posts

7416 threads

Members: 235019

Latest Member: lying lichen

Online: 45