Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:20 pm in Feature Requests

page 2 / 2 << 1, 2 >> go to
JennieBing

Title

+1 for bluetooth support.
JennieBing
Bagus4235

Title

+1 for bluetooth support. This would also allow sound to transfer between the two! Calls, Music and more would get enabled on the client!
Bagus4235
ahumenberger

Re: Bluetooth support?

+1 for bluetooth support.
ahumenberger
Coffee Admin

Sorry, doesn't support now. But we've collected your feature request. Please kindly stay tuned :)
Coffee
Admin
lech.m

Airdroid uses a lot of bandwidth that I'm not so sure Bluetooth can handle.
Sorry, but I don't think this is accurate. I am tethering right now over bluetooth and I was able to get 2Gb/s d/l and similar u/l on speedtest.net on a "mere" 3G connection. Maybe bluetooth cannot manage connections as fast as the latest WiFi versions (I don't know, maybe it can, for surely bluetooth is also being improved?), but a 2Gb/s connection for example is fast enough for most operations.

I am strongly in favour of AirDroid adding BT connectivity, because it has some major advantages:

1. Bluetooth consumes much less energy than WiFi and mobile data

2. Reliability: If your laptop is paired to your phone, you can reliably initiate the connection straight from your laptop. I know this is possible with a wireless hotspot, but if you have this on all the time, your phone is likely to have ran out of batteries before you even try to connect. So then there is the phone's internet connection. This will either be via WiFi or the phone network (assuming you have a data plan), but let's face it, this can be unstable, e.g. no WiFi and no mobile data signal, or in the case of my phone, it is unable to work out the WiFi doesn't work or requires login (I know newer Android versions can figure this out and automatically switch to mobile data). So, you must take out your phone to turn on the wireless hotspot or figure out why you can't connect over the internet, and for me this sort of defies the purpose of AirDroid: If I have the phone in my hand I might as well do what I wanted to do straight on the phone.

1 is the big one, but I think 2 has merit also.
lech.m
Alexander

+1 for bluetooth support
Alexander
ntucker

Another scenario for which bluetooth support would be great is using it at work, where for security reasons, my phone isn't allowed to connect via USB and isn't allowed on the corporate wifi network, but it isn't feasible to switch my work machine to connect to a portable hotspot.
ntucker
Craig

I'm a network field engineer who works from my laptop and phone every day in a variety of locations, most of them not being my desks at my home or office. Consequently, the ability to not have to rely on a local cooperative Wi-Fi network and instead use a private Bluetooth connection between my phone and laptop would be preferred. I'm at a coffee shop right now, for instance, and their Wi-Fi network has isolation activated -- meaning although my phone and laptop are both on the same network, neither can see or talk to each other. This is the preferred and usually default setup for public Wi-Fi.

Point-to-point private Wi-Fi networking is possible but I would think BT would be easier.

What's the deal? Users have been asking for this for FIVE YEARS. My phone is an unrooted Nexus. Please support what I and other users need!
Craig
(Sign in or sign up to post a reply.)
page 2 / 2 << 1, 2 >> go to

Statistics

24655 posts

7416 threads

Members: 235039

Latest Member: yogo

Online: 28