Desktop Client

Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:44 am in Feature Requests

page 1 / 2 << 1, 2 >> go to
max63094
OP

Desktop Client

Another idea would be a desktop client. It would be nice to be able to choose from using the web and a desktop client. With the desktop client, you can also add more features like root tools and better usb support. Some root tools can be like a terminal, screenshots and remote control.
max63094
careless_whisper

Title

You can pin a website to your taskbar in Windows within a high range of browsers. Actually, you can do that on each platform (including Linux!). And it needs less codebase. You only apply AirDroid update on mobile and it's done. I don't think it's a good idea.
careless_whisper
HowardHopkinson

Title

I don't think that the options like Terminal and Remote Control are possible without root access and I don't think that these examples of features will convince to make a Desktop version.

AirDroid is in my opinion created to be controlled by the web and It's better for compatibility to work in the webbrowser.
HowardHopkinson
DoubtOn

Title

I Also thing a cross platform Desktop client would be pretty useful, to start out with you could make a basic app that just ran the HTML, and in the long run develop it into something more perhaps?
Ash
DoubtOn
Polack

Title

I've started my own desktop client in Java(I used java for the cross-platform ability). I've got quite far, but I've haven't finished it. Things that still to be done:
-Automatic login
-Fix parsing issues while parsing the webpage(sometimes image positions are bugged)
-An API would be REALLY helpful

If anyone wants me to post it on Github, just let me know :).
Polack
RitaBorge

Title

I was hoping for a desktop client similar to MyMobiler, where you can see your screen on your pc desktop and control everything as if working directly on the Android device.
RitaBorge
vestidosdeverano

Title

@jrusinek: There's a difference between a pinned webpage and a desktop client. Pinning a webpage is just an addition to the MANY forms of bookmarking that already exist. A desktop client would run on your computer without the need for a browser to be opened up. I'm sure you're aware of this, but I felt it needed to be said, since your post indicated that pinning the webpage would have the same affect as having a desktop client.

@Turkdale: I'm sorry, not to be rude, but you need to learn how to read. "Some root tools can be like a terminal, screenshots and remote control." He indicated that they would be ROOT tools, meaning you would need root access. Now the thing about that is, they can add root functionality to the app without breaking it for non-rooted phones, all they would need to do is add "if root" statements, or something similar. If they did that, then the application would ask the system for root permissions, and if denied, whether it's because the user does not wish to grant the permissions, or it's because the system hasn't been rooted, then the "if root" functions will be disabled, leaving a fully functional, non-root app. It's not that difficult.

To the both of you above. I apologize if I come off rude. Sadly, I have a reputation of being an ass, because I tend to speak my mind. It's not a good habit, at all, but it's not going to change.

Now on to my opinion on this topic. I too believe that a desktop client would be a good idea. I'm not sure how I feel about having root tools included. They could be useful, but also dangerous, there are many more people that don't know what they're doing with root than there are that do. If they were to include root tools, they would have to add a segment to their TOS to state that they are not responsible if a person's phone get's bricked as a result of using the root tools. That being said, a desktop client would be much more convenient than having to use the web client as well. To be honest, the benefits out-weigh the risks.
vestidosdeverano
LVHAlfons

Title

Hi all,
Thanks for your suggestion on desktop client and sorry for the late reply.

AirDroid now doesn't have a desktop client. We are trying to make one now. But the desktop client is still in the early stage. Not sure if it will be released and the release time is undecided.

Thanks again for your suggestion :)

Feel free to let us know if you have any questions or suggestions :)
LVHAlfons
vestidosdeverano

Title

I would love to beta test if you guys need testers, to go even further, I'd be honoured to alpha test if the need arises. :)
vestidosdeverano
(Sign in or sign up to post a reply.)
page 1 / 2 << 1, 2 >> go to

Statistics

24655 posts

7416 threads

Members: 235538

Latest Member: NeOn

Online: 58