Problems managing files

Sat May 16, 2015 4:45 pm in General

page 1 / 2 << 1, 2 >> go to
russc
OP

Problems managing files

I have airdroid installed on an android box (which has an external USB hard drive) which I use as media centre/file server.  I use airdroid to organise and manage the files via my laptop using the local address 192.168.... etc.  It would be used to move and organise files on the same hard drive.  As a result when moving files it was very quick as it only moved the FAT record.  However recently it is taking forever (hours sometimes for large number of files) and it seems to be actually copying and pasting as if the files were on separate drives.  If this was not problematic enough, it seems to run into trouble and create 5-6 copies of each file when copying multiple files.

Is there a solution that would let me go back to the old way or is this just how it is now and I should look for a different app
russc
Coffee Admin

Re: Problems managing files

I have airdroid installed on an android box (which has an external USB hard drive) which I use as media centre/file server.  I use airdroid to organise and manage the files via my laptop using the local address 192.168.... etc.  It would be used to move and organise files on the same hard drive.  As a result when moving files it was very quick as it only moved the FAT record.  However recently it is taking forever (hours sometimes for large number of files) and it seems to be actually copying and pasting as if the files were on separate drives.  If this was not problematic enough, it seems to run into trouble and create 5-6 copies of each file when copying multiple files.

Is there a solution that would let me go back to the old way or is this just how it is now and I should look for a different app 

The previous version works well? Which version?

And you said that AirDroid will create 5-6 copies of each file when trying to transferring multiple files? Does this happen all the time? Did you transferred it for several times? Can you record a video on this? It would help us better understanding the issue. Thanks!

And your Android version, device model, browser?
Coffee
Admin
russc

Unfortunately I cant remember exact details or version numbers which worked well, as my settings have it set to update automatically and I accept any updates that are requested.  Also I only use airdroid once a month as my files start to get disorganised (by other programs or downloads or general personal use).  Assuming it is a problem with Airdroid, it has been over a year since the version that worked properly.  Ive only just got annoyed enough to thoroughly look for a solution since Ive got a lot of files to move now.

That said some answers to the questions are 
Android device: Minix Neo X7 android TV box with external USB 3.5" 2TB drive
current firnware: Latest official minix firmware which is based on Android 4.4.2, however I have used various roms v4.4.4 which also had this problem.  I cannot rule out the possiblity of it being a problem with new roms but the problem has occured with at least 3 different firmware roms
Browser:  always used Google chrome.

From my opinion, It looks like when it tries to move files instead of just moving the location in FAT, it will try to physically move files on the drive (i can hear my drive copying them) then if it gets an error, tries again with a Filename (2), Filename(3) etc.  Yes it happens all the time but only when Im trying to move multiple large files (videos) at the same time.    Ill try to get a video of it soon.  

Edit:
One more thing that may be relevant.  The USB storage is in the System folder.  (system/mnt/usb_storage/USB_DISK0...
russc
Coffee Admin

Unfortunately I cant remember exact details or version numbers which worked well, as my settings have it set to update automatically and I accept any updates that are requested.  Also I only use airdroid once a month as my files start to get disorganised (by other programs or downloads or general personal use).  Assuming it is a problem with Airdroid, it has been over a year since the version that worked properly.  Ive only just got annoyed enough to thoroughly look for a solution since Ive got a lot of files to move now.

That said some answers to the questions are 
Android device: Minix Neo X7 android TV box with external USB 3.5" 2TB drive
current firnware: Latest official minix firmware which is based on Android 4.4.2, however I have used various roms v4.4.4 which also had this problem.  I cannot rule out the possiblity of it being a problem with new roms but the problem has occured with at least 3 different firmware roms
Browser:  always used Google chrome.

From my opinion, It looks like when it tries to move files instead of just moving the location in FAT, it will try to physically move files on the drive (i can hear my drive copying them) then if it gets an error, tries again with a Filename (2), Filename(3) etc.  Yes it happens all the time but only when Im trying to move multiple large files (videos) at the same time.    Ill try to get a video of it soon.  

Edit:
One more thing that may be relevant.  The USB storage is in the System folder.  (system/mnt/usb_storage/USB_DISK0... 

Thanks for the continous feedback. But I still a little bit confused on that issue.. Awaiting for some screenshots or video. 
Coffee
Admin
Coffee Admin

Screenshots are easier.  Heres a step by step
http://imgur.com/a/EUSdn#0  

Sorry for the late reply.

We've tried this on our side but can't reproduce this. It's a little bit hard for us to find the root cause of this issue.

I've record this in the bug system and we'll pay attention to similar reports.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused :(
Coffee
Admin
russc

Since you couldnt replicate this issue, I thought I'd try a few different scenarios to see if i can get it to work and try to rule out a few different things.

1) Suspected my Minix device, so tried it on my phone, a Moto G 4g xt1039. Problem still occurs
2) Tried it with different browser firefox with minix device . Problem still occurs
3) Tried with a different laptop with different OS (windows 7 vs Windows 8.1) with minix device, Problem still occurs.

Now im out of ideas.
russc
Coffee Admin

Similar issue with this? http://forums.airdroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15708
Coffee
Admin
russc

I dont think so. I copy between existing folders when my problem occurs. I believe my issue is to do with copying large files. Airdroid sort of loses track halfway through copying and starts with a new copy of the file. Also with my problem, it seems to finish once it manages to copy the file completely even if it takes 5-6 attempts. Leaving plenty of room on the drive
russc
Coffee Admin

I dont think so. I copy between existing folders when my problem occurs. I believe my issue is to do with copying large files. Airdroid sort of loses track halfway through copying and starts with a new copy of the file. Also with my problem, it seems to finish once it manages to copy the file completely even if it takes 5-6 attempts. Leaving plenty of room on the drive

Thanks for the continuous feedback! Sorry that we still can't find any possible causes of this issue and we didn't see similar feedback before. We'll pay attention to this issue.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused :(
Coffee
Admin
rav_kr

I have the same problem
I had 330 photos (500MB) in directory xxx
I selected these files, cut them and pasted in directory yyy
both directories are on the external SD card (FAT32)
moving files on the same partition should take less then second but it took few minutes
then alert appered saying that AirDroid can't move files on external SD card
but despite that files were moved
then I downloaded directory to my pc and found out that airdroid duplicated some of the files (416 files instead of 330)
sometimes files were empty (0 bytes) and sometimes fully duplicated

I use Airdroid for more then 2 years but I haven't use cut/paste feature on more then 5-10 files before

Phone: ASUS Zenfone 5 (A501CG)
ROM: Stock
Android: 4.4.2
Rooted: Yes
Using wifi and Firefox on Linux Ubuntu
SD card: 8GB (with almost no files)
rav_kr
(Sign in or sign up to post a reply.)
page 1 / 2 << 1, 2 >> go to

Statistics

24655 posts

7416 threads