Strip special characters (diacritics) from SMS text messages

Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:48 am in AirDroid Web

page 1 / 1
PiotrK
OP

Strip special characters (diacritics) from SMS text messages

Hello,

I have a problem with new version of AirDroid, used with Android 4.4.4 - text messages are half length when using special characters (diacritic signs).
An example (from a different app) as pictured below:
http://i.snag.gy/M77KV.jpg

In an older version of AirDroid (3.0.2) used with older Android (ICS) when I set up my Android's SMS configuration to use only "GSM alphabet", sending text messages with or without special characters was the same - special characters were always stripped, e.g.:
Ą => A
é => e
etc.

In the newest version, despite Android's SMS app setting, these special diacritic characters are not stripped, and as a result - eat up the character limit of SMS messages very quickly.

Proposed solutions:
Either read Android's setting, making it work like it worked in older version, or add an option in AirDroid options to strip special characters (use GSM Alphabet for SMS messages).
PiotrK
Coffee Admin

Re: Strip special characters (diacritics) from SMS text messages

Hello,

I have a problem with new version of AirDroid, used with Android 4.4.4 - text messages are half length when using special characters (diacritic signs).
An example (from a different app) as pictured below:
http://i.snag.gy/M77KV.jpg

In an older version of AirDroid (3.0.2) used with older Android (ICS) when I set up my Android's SMS configuration to use only "GSM alphabet", sending text messages with or without special characters was the same - special characters were always stripped, e.g.:
Ą => A
é => e
etc.

In the newest version, despite Android's SMS app setting, these special diacritic characters are not stripped, and as a result - eat up the character limit of SMS messages very quickly.

Proposed solutions:
Either read Android's setting, making it work like it worked in older version, or add an option in AirDroid options to strip special characters (use GSM Alphabet for SMS messages).

Thanks for the feedback. We'll test it on our side and we'll consider your suggestion :)
Coffee
Admin
(Sign in or sign up to post a reply.)
page 1 / 1

Statistics

24655 posts

7416 threads

Members: 235546

Latest Member: Emtiaz Emu

Online: 45